Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Broken Social Scene Presents: Kevin Drew, Spirit if...

Like OMG! Kevin Drew. He is totally the lead singer of Broken Social Scene. If i were a woman i would let him do unspeakable things to my vagina. Luckily I'm not (boobies are hard to manage i hear), so i guess he will have to settle for my ass. At least what i keep telling him at shows when i see him. (Why won't you return my calls KEV-O?) But seriously, BSS makes some of my most favorite modern music to date. Just to give you some perspective on how awesome these guys are, some of the members of BSS are in / have been in: Stars, The American Analog Set, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Metric, Do Make Say Think, The Apostle of Hustle, The Dears, and of course Fiest. (I'm tired of linking shit. Look em up yerself sherlock) I mean, come on. ALL of those bands are pretty freakin sweet man. I own at least one CD by every one of those bands. However, the usual complaint about BSS is that they are too freakin HUGE. Not like fat huge, but like 19 members and growing huge (see above list). Half the time they can't get like 20% of the band to tour. And the BACK UP members are usually huge stars in their own right (i.e. FIEST). You can see how, with that many musical masterminds in a room, it could sometimes be hard to have a focus or a direction. But alas, the problem is solved. The solution you ask? A: ONE EGO at a time please. The result is this album... which is fucking awesome. I think i've listened to this album on repeat maybe 1000 times. Did i mention i love hyperbole? HYPERBOLE IS FUCKING AMAZING. There is a another "BSS presents" album out with cofounder Brendan Canning, which is also pretty gosh darn good. I'll probably post that jazz too. This is gonna be a long ass series if they have to go through everyone. Here's to hoping!

No comments: