Tuesday, July 29, 2008

LCD Soundsystem x 2

For being one of the coolest guys alive, a lot of my friends don't know shit about this guy. This post is for them, cause i know the rest of the world realizes the genius that is James Murphy. As far as his sound, I generally describe it as electronic / dance music / punk rock with elements of disco. I dunno... It's definitely catchy. It's definitely dance-worthy. But it also has so much depth and style that it's just so hard to put down. Some songs remind me of Brian Eno or Talking Heads, while others have a Pavement-esque, post punk feel. Either way, I don't think there is a guy out there today making this style of music as well as he does. 

First lets start with the Self-titled debut. It's not may favorite, okay? Wanna know why? Tough, it's my blog and I'm gonna say some shit. The album just isn't consistent. It lacks a sense of direction and conciseness . That being said, it also has a few select tracks that rock my world hardcore. These tracks are: Beat Connection, Disco Infiltrator, and Movement. "Give It Up" receives a nod of the head, but the continuous repeating of one line for like 2 minutes makes what was a pretty cool song into kind of annoying. I also heard that he didn't script his lyrics for this album, he just free-styled in the studio. He wanted the lyrics to seem spontaneous or something. Admirable, but a mistake for such a smart guy, who, in his next record proves how brilliant he can be if he sits down with a pen. However the other three tracks are the shit. I wouldn't even post this album if it weren't for those tracks, that's how much they rock. 

Now for "Sound of Silver". I bought this album because all the critics were juicing in their pants over it. I listened to it once, and wrote it off as way overrated. So i put the album away for about a few months, let my musical pallet expand, and then came back to it (I think because i heard "Get Innocuous" so many times while playing GTA), listened to it for REAL and finally realized why everyone was stroking this man's chubby. This album is, for all intents and purposes, the BEST dance/indie rock hybrid record ever.  I realized i was just not getting the humor mixed with dead serious lyrics. What i thought were cheesy lines actually made me chuckle the second time around. Lyrics like, "Oh i don't know, oh, where to begin / We are North Americans / And for those of you who still think we're from England / We're like ... 'no'..." You just have to decipher when he's being all tongue and cheeky and when he is trying to blow your fucking mind. Which is almost every track. The song All My Friends has got to be one of the most well composed songs I have ever heard. Lyrically this album is basically about getting older, having no regrets while regretting everything at once (I'm simplifying here of course). But honestly, there isn't ONE weak song on here. If you give the album enough time, every song becomes awesome in it's own right. The album is so much more conducive than his self-titled. I just plain don't get bored of this album. I listen to it at least once a week regardless of what else I've been listening to.  But seriously, Check this shit. It will change your life. (Self titled is in two parts cause it's huge)



LCD Soundsystem Part One     Part Two




No comments: