Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Lali Puna

Hello boys and girls. I told you i was gonna post something else the guys from The Notwist helped create. So, here it is. Probably my favorite band they have contributed to beside their own. I don't have all the songs off of their other albums mainly cause I can't find the shit ANYWHERE on the Internet or in any record store. But I do have "Faking the Books" which I personally think is their best work anyway, although each album has it's ups and downs. This one is their most recent before they went to work on side projects or back to their own bands. The entire reason why i even gave these guys a listen was because Thom Yorke revealed in some interview all the music he was listening to while writing and recording Kid A. Needless to say, because i loved Kid A, i was intrigued. This led me to discover many awesome new bands including Autechre, Sigur Ros, and of course Lali Puna! Gee, thanks Thom Yorke! You can literally tell in some Radiohead songs that he rips off the style of all these bands in the most blatant fashion possible. But hey, at least he does it well. Back to Lali Puna. The lead singer is this chick Valerie Trebeljahr (I had to look that shit up) who basically sounds like a call girl molesting you through the phone. Only she isn't talking to you about sex, but rather how shitty and paranoid the world is. Way to kill my boner Valerie. The sound as a whole is very distant and alienated yet her warm quiet vocals bring you back to reality. Even if the reality is that shit is totally fucked up. It's depressing in the most beautiful way possible. Enjoy.

No comments: