Monday, September 29, 2008

The National x 4

This is one of my favorite bands. What's so good about them is that they seriously get better with each release. I'm already shitting my pants with anticipation of their next album. (seriously i just pooped my pants... and I don't even know when the release date is) Also, I saw them live and WOW... really impressive. One of the best shows I've seen in a long time. Every album gets better with each listen. The Cherry Tree EP is probably the earliest release from them that I can enjoy... everything before that I just couldn't get into for some reason. But since then they've matured into something revered by the artists they were once compared to. And i just have to say that, as a drummer, Boxer is probably the best example of controlled excellence behind the kit that I've seen in a long time. While most drummers these days focus on showmanship and technicality, he is more focused on the song as a whole and what adds the most to the track. A virtue that I hold in high regard when it comes to drumming. He is probably second only to Phil Selway from Radiohead in this category and that is saying a LOT. Really, everyone in the band does this, which is why the songs are so well put together. Anyway, I could gush for hours about how amazing and under appreciated The National are, but instead just listen to the damn music. You won't be sorry, trust me.  Their last two LPs are by far their best work, but the EPs are good if you already listened the crap out of their other stuff, like me. Can you listen the crap out of something?... i dunno.  Everything in 320 Kbps by the way. 

No comments: