Thursday, November 27, 2008

Brainiac: Bonsai Superstar

Sup brohammers. I'm back (kinda) and I have some music for you. It's nothing new or anything but it's stuff that I've been meaning to put up for a month so I figured I would finally get this shit out there. I'm actually REALLY pissed that my link for the other Brainiac album got killed. Sometimes I can understand how an artist or record company doesn't want their albums shared (like when an album just comes out or the CDs are still selling really well). But when it is NEAR IMPOSSIBLE to find an album by Brainiac nowadays and 90 percent of their albums are OUT OF PRINT, it makes me laugh that they are preventing people from enjoying their music. I mean honestly, what do you have to gain from ripping down links to a band whose lead singer is dead... the band makes no new music... and almost all of the albums are out of print and you won't make more. I don't get it. Okay... end rant. The good news is that this album (unlike the last one) is really really hard to find... I had to pay a decent amount of money to get it... so for anyone who likes these guys it's a great find especially because it's considered one of their best albums. You wanna know what's funny? Remember when everyone was scrambling to get the new Death Cab for Cutie album? The band said in some interviews that they were really influenced by Brainiac for thier sound on the new album.. yadda yadda. Then their album came out and I was like "what Brainiac album where these guys listening to?". It just goes to show good musical influence doesn't make for good musical creation. Let that be a lesson to you lame hipster bands.



4 comments:

Seb said...

I absolutly love this album, Proto-prog, a mix of punk and prog that seethes and flows with unbridedled sexuality and electronic flourishes. Thank you!

pj said...

Yeah... actually that's a really great description. Brainiac does have a sort of sublte sexuality. If you have heard Smack Baby Bunny... it's amazing how they jumped to the sound on this album. Such an enormous leap.

polk said...

bonsai was the great leap forward, when they dumped michelle bodine on guitar and picked up john schmersal...i am from dayton and saw both incarnations of the mighty brainiac...truth: the schmersal lineup was far better.

electro-shock is all the more amazizng (btw) when you recognize it as their last release...they were heading into bold, different waters...i still remember speeding through downtown dayton on fourth street when the punk girl i was riding with told me the news about tim taylor...damn it, we miss him here.

there's a great brainiac track called 'dexatrim' from a rare split 7" (the other band escapes me); if you can find it - grab it.

cheers...

Unknown said...

is the file in mp3 or WAV?