Friday, October 17, 2008

Brainiac: Hissing Prigs in Static Couture

This is the first in a series of many. I own the whole Brainiac catalogue... which doesn't sound that great until you realize that almost every CD they have is out of print. It took me a while but I finally got them all. This one is the first album of theirs that I was able to find, mostly because this is the only one still in print. If you ask a Brainiac fan which is their best CD they either come up with this or Bonsai Superstar. I don't know which one I prefer really. This one can be a little bit abrasive at times because the singer Tim Taylor (RIP) does some pretty high pitch squealing in a few songs. Those songs actually tend to me my least favorite, although they are sometimes pretty fun to listen to. If you put this CD on for someone who doesn't know Brainiac, they will most likely go "What the fuck are we listening to?" Well, don't let that scare you, because like most bands that are a little abrasive at first (sonic youth, pixies, pavement) they end up being one of your favorite bands. Speaking of The Pixies... shortly before this CD they got singed to touch and go records and had Kim Deal produce an EP. I personally love that not everyone will like Brainiac. It's a great club to belong to and not everyone is welcome. Won't you join the club? This is a good place to start. More to come. 

No comments: