Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Sufjan Stevens: Illinoise

This is Sufjan Steven's epic masterpiece. Despite being another one of those artists that is all "touched by the holy spirit" and whatnot, he is actually quite the talented song writer. He can be a little cheesy at times, but when he is on.. HE IS ON. I personally get annoyed with ridiculous and LONG song titles like the ones on this album... but hey the songs definitely make up for it. Also... don't be fooled by the large size of this album of 22 songs. A lot of them are very short interludes. I tend to listen to about 10 tracks on this album, which is really about how long an album should be before it gets boring anyway (if every song is good that is). I kind of hope he gives up writing about every state like he originally intended to do... because 1. He will die before he even gets one third of the states. 2. You can only write so many metaphores for geographical locations before I stab my brain through my ear holes. 3. The U.S.A. will probably assimilate Canada and Mexico and break them up into states before he finishes thus adding 30 more states to the mix. And seriously... 4. Who the fuck wants to hear an album about Alabama?!... I know I don't. I would almost prefer for him to go back to writing about Jesus again. At least biblical allusions are far more interesting.

P.S. this is an album that needs to be heard in 320kbps, hence the two parts. So for anyone who already owns this album... if you want a "high quality" version then peep this jam.




Come on feel the Illinoise
Part 1 Part 2

No comments: