Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Pixies: Surfer Rosa

Pixies rule my life. Quite possibly one of the best bands... ever. This album is still probably my favorite one. Steve Albini (producer for this album) just has a way with making a band sound exactly how they should. The drums on this have a sort of killing punch to them that the other pixies albums don't have (an attribute that caused Kurt Cobain to seek out Albini as a producer for In Utero). The Pixies just do it all for me. Frank Black can make you chuckle with his wacky lyrics, while at the same time delivering a heavy handed truth while you weren't looking... the guitars crunch and swell into larger than life choruses.... Kim and Franks voices harmonize in what most bands nowadays only can TRY to recreate.... the drums gallop along exploding into rocked out bliss... I dunno... I could seriously gush on for three pages about how important The Pixies are for modern indie rock music... or how they've literally influenced every GOOD band that has come about in the last 20 years of music.... the truth is without The Pixies, music as we know it would not be the same. I'm just glad I was able to catch them on their reunion tour before they disbanded again. Ahhhhhh... remember when music was so good it was exciting? Push play and lets reminisce.



No comments: